Cyber attacks are becoming more frequent and harder to identify. Effective cyber security is no longer something that’s ‘nice to have’. It’s an absolute necessity for any firm today.
Recent statistics make sobering reading:
- Financial services firms reported 819 cyber incidents to the FCA during 2018 – a 12-fold rise from the equivalent figure for 2017
- UK businesses faced an average 150,000 attempted cyber attacks during the second quarter of 2019 alone – that’s more than one a minute
- 61% of UK businesses have experienced at least one successful cyber attack in the past 12 months – up from 45% during the same period in 2018
- The cost of breaches to UK mid-market businesses alone during the past year has been estimated at £30bn
Responding to growing concern over cyber security, the government has set up the Information Commissioner’s Officer (ICO), a self-funding body to which all data breaches must be reported. Failure to comply with the new GDPR legislation – which includes an obligation to notify both your customers and the ICO of any data breaches – can result in fines of up to 4% of your global annual income.
To help companies tackle the issues around cyber crime and cyber security, the government has introduced an industry-supported scheme called Cyber Essentials. Its aim is helping organisations protect themselves against common online threats.
The Cyber Essentials programme can help safeguard your company and your customers against cyber crime and its financial impacts. It provides a set of processes and policies, which, if followed, will deliver a good basic level of cyber security.
The Cyber Essentials Plus programme includes a penetration test at least once a year to test the vulnerability of data held by your firm.
The Cyber Essentials programme also brings a range of ‘soft’ benefits. For example, it provides reassurance for your customers that you take cyber security – and the threat of cyber crime – seriously and that you can be trusted to protect their personal information.
How can Thistle help you?
Thistle’s Cyber Essentials programme offers you the support of our expert cyber security team. All its members are certified by recognised bodies and have been supporting firms in the fight against cyber crime for many years.
In return for a flat-fee monthly payment, our Cyber Essentials programme provides:
- An assessment of your company’s current cyber security arrangements to help you secure the Cyber Essentials accreditation
- A service desk giving you access to Thistle’s cyber security experts, who can help you resolve any issues you encounter
- A full review of your IT infrastructure and devices to help you secure the Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation
- An annual penetration test to diagnose any vulnerabilities that may have arisen in the previous year
- Access to our cyber security team to provide training in cyber crime, GDPR and other related issues
- Immediate access to our team to investigate cyber security issues as they arise
- Access to additional services such as:
- A security operations centre (SOC) service through which we continually monitor your network traffic for suspicious activity
- A bug detection service through which we scan your offices and machines for listening and tracking devices.
Beyond the annual re-certification process, we can offer a range of other services to enhance your cyber security and cyber awareness.
- Cyber insurance to cover your company’s costs, should you experience a breach
- Awareness training and threat briefings for your staff
- Cyber risks analysis based on the National Cyber Security Centre’s 10 Steps to Cyber Security, with pragmatic and affordable remediation roadmaps to ensure your company is protected from emerging cyber threats
- Business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
If you’d like to know more about the many ways Thistle’s experts can help strengthen your cyber security and protect you against cyber crime, fill out the contact form on the right, email email@example.com, or call us on 0207 436 0630.