Cyber-attacks are becoming more frequent and harder to identify which means cyber security is now a necessity for all firms rather than a luxury as it was once viewed.
Recent research by IOD has produced some shocking facts in this area such as:
- • The UK’s 5.4 million small businesses are collectively attacked more than seven million times a year
• On average, it takes 120 days for a business to know that its data has been compromised
• Cybercrime accounted for almost 30% of all crimes recorded in the UK from July 2016 to July 2017
The government is concerned and has set up a self-funding body ‘the Information Commissioner (ICO)’ to which all data breaches must be reported. Failure to comply with the new GDPR legislation, which includes notification to customers and the ICO of data breaches could result in fines of up to 4% of your global annual income.
To help companies tackle the issues of cyber crime the government has introduced Cyber Essentials. The aim of this industry-supported scheme is to help organisations protect themselves against common online threats.
The Cyber Essentials programme will help safeguard your company and your customers from cyber crime and the financial impacts that can come with it, It provides a set of processes and policies that if followed will deliver a level of security. The Cyber Essentials + programme includes a penetration test at least every year to test the vulnerability of your companies data.
In addition, there are some softer benefits that come with Cyber essentials, such as reassurance for customers that you take the threat of cyber crime and the protection of their personal information seriously.
How can Thistle help you?
Thistle’s Cyber Essentials programme provides a team of Cyber Experts, all certified by various cyber security bodies, who have been supporting companies battling cyber crime for many years. For a simple monthly payment, the programme will provide:
- • Assessing your company’s current security arrangements to gain Cyber Essentials accreditation
• A service desk through which you will have access to Cyber experts to assist in the resolution of any issues you encounter
• A full review of your infrastructure and devices to gain Cyber Essentials plus accreditation
• An annual Penetration Test to diagnose any vulnerabilities that may have arisen in the previous year
• Access to the team to provide training in Cyber Crime, GDPR and other related issues
• An insurance policy that will cover the cost of any restorative effort required as a result of a cyber data breach
• Access to the team to immediately investigate issues as they arise
• Access to additional services such as:
– SOC, where we can continually monitor your network traffic for suspicious activity
– Bug detection where we scan your offices and machines for listening and tracking devices.
Above and beyond your annual re-certification, Thistle offers the following services to enhance your cyber awareness:
- • Cyber Insurance to cover your company’s costs should you experience a breach
• Awareness training and threat briefings to staff members
• Cyber risks analysis based on the National Cyber Security Centre 10 Steps of Cyber Security, with pragmatic, affordable remediation roadmaps to ensure the company is protected from emerging cyber threats
• Business continuity and disaster recovery plans