As the specialist general insurance division of Thistle Initiatives, we believe compliance has a very positive role to play in a business, which is why our services are designed to deliver real benefits, not just tick regulatory boxes.
We take a pragmatic and practical approach, listening to the issues our clients face and working to provide real solutions that work for their business.
Our senior team are FCII or ACII qualified and, across the board, we have an in-depth understanding of our sector. The majority of our staff have worked for brokers or insurers and many have been in the industry for well over 20 years. Our clients enjoy consistently high standards of service provided by a knowledgeable and highly experienced team.
- • General insurance brokers, both wholesale and retail
• Call centre operations
• Motor dealers
As well as insurance we also provide compliance support for credit broking activities.
We assist firms with all aspects of regulation including:
We have extensive expertise, working across
- Authorisation – insurance and credit; direct or Appointed Representatives; Approved Persons
- Applications and notifications
- Monitoring and supervision of Appointed Representatives
- Enforcement – Section 166 remedial actions support
- Acquisition or pre-sale due diligence
- Auditing – to supplement internal controls or as a Third Line of Defence
- Auditing of coverholders – as an independent, outsourced service for MGAs, underwriters and principal firms
- TC4 Assessments
- Assistance with RMAR reporting and submission
- Outsourced/Locum compliance officer
- A full range of consultancy services – creating and implementing systems and controls as well as reviews of: client money; T&C arrangements; client files; call monitoring; financial promotions; terms of business
We offer our clients the choice of one off support, a suite of services or the option to build their own tailor-made solutions so they get precisely the assistance they need.
• Our UK-wide team of highly experienced, field-based consultants who spend time on site with clients really getting to know and understand their business.
• Our expert technical compliance helpline team providing clients with tailored, one to one advice.
• Our online compliance manual which provides ongoing access to advice and guidance on the full range of FCA general insurance and consumer credit broking regulation, supported by an extensive suite of template documents and forms.
• Our CII accredited compliance workshops run twice a year at locations across the country – we are the only firm in our sector to have achieved CII accreditation and we believe it is a measure of the quality and expertise of our service. All our workshops attract structured CPD hours.
Twice a year we run our CII accredited insurance and consumer credit broking workshops at 10 locations across the UK. The workshops are a great opportunity to listen to expert speakers discussing relevant compliance issues and what these may mean, in practical terms, for your business, as well as allowing you an insight into how your peers are thinking about, and responding to, the latest regulatory challenges.
Our autumn workshops begin in mid-September and run through to November; registration is from 10am and we finish at around 1.15 for lunch. As well as our usual round up of current and horizon regulatory issues, this workshop will be looking at:
• Good governance as it relates to leadership responsibilities and risk management with particular emphasis on consumer focus and regulatory accountability;
• Appointed Representatives & Sources of Business, particularly in the light of the FCA’s Thematic Review of Principals and their Appointed Representatives in the general insurance market
• Common pitfalls relating to client money
To book your place click here; Thistle Initiatives general insurance and consumer credit broking clients may be entitled to a place as part of their support package (please check your schedule for details) otherwise fees apply.
ACII – Chartered Insurance PractitionerHead of Compliance Consultancy Services, Thistle Initiatives general insurance division
Jill has worked in financial services (insurance, pensions, investments and mortgages) for over 20 years, gaining and maintaining a detailed knowledge of the compliance issues affecting general insurance intermediaries.As one of our most senior compliance professionals at Thistle Initiatives, Jill is responsible for the delivery of all aspects of the compliance field consultancy service.
Head of Technical Services, Thistle Initiatives general insurance division
Helen has worked in the general insurance sector for over 12 years and has extensive experience of both insurance and consumer credit compliance. She has in-depth technical knowledge and leads the content and development of our online manual, our regulatory updates to member firms and both writes and presents at our CII accredited compliance workshops. Helen provides technical advice to clients and is an experienced reviewer of financial promotions, as well as customer communications and documentation.
ACII - Chartered Insurance PractitionerManaging Director, Thistle Initiatives general insurance division Nikki leads the senior management team and is responsible for strategy and operations.
Nikki has worked in the GI market for over 22 years, starting her career as a commercial insurance underwriter before later specialising in the field of compliance. Nikki has a vast array of experience as a compliance professional including in-house roles and working as an external consultant.
Nikki leads the senior management team and is responsible for strategy and operations.
For more information about our services or to discuss how we can support your business, please contact us.
Thistle Initiatives general insurance division, 18 The Courtyard, Common Lane, Culcheth, Warrington, WA3 4HA